Friday, October 12, 2012

UNDERSTANDING

                My first introduction to the Four Noble Truths was when I worked at a Girl Scout Camp in southern Michigan . One of the camp counselors loaned me a book to read . Siddhartha , it was one of those books that I could not put down till it was finished . It is about Siddhartha Gautama's life and his transition to Buddha . At the time I enjoyed the book and it kind of made some since to me . Little did I know that it would not be the first time would be exposed to his teachings .
                 At the end of that summer that same counselor gave me a copy of Be Here Now by Ram Dass { Dr. Richard Alpert ,PHD. } .  Since that summer I have always managed to keep a copy in my library . I understand that it was considered a counter culture bible . To me it was some thing that I read every so often throughout my life that kind of gave me a spiritual awaking usually when I needed the most . Right now let just say that I not that much of a spiritual person . As I have stated before I not religious in any way . I do believe all that we see is not some cosmic accident some thing had to lend a hand in aligning all that it took to create this vast universe and all that lives in it. I was raised a catholic but I never really grasped an understanding of the concept of faith in the trilogy . By far though I was able to understand the Four Noble Truths . It just plain made since to me .
                 I never really immersed my self in the teachings but often went back to to it and kept in my thought . I believe I tried my best to live by them . If you ever read them you will see that it can be a difficult path to follow . I also at times found my self immersing in the bible too . Even attending services regularly and going to bible studies . But I just could never see see myself as a serious believer .Some how it just seemed fake to me .I do at times give all this some serious thought for a time . As such as I am doing right now . I do not fault people for their believes , because that's what fits them , but I am still trying to seek out my fit . I expect people to respect my thoughts on this . What can turn me away from any discussions on the topic is when some starts sounding like a used car sales man trying to sell me a junker . If you what to talk ideas not gloom and doom  becuase ii don't beleive as you do , I am all for it .

No comments: