Thursday, October 18, 2012

I REMEMBER ..........

                   While growing up I remember watching the old movies and some of the new ones that came out . Also the TV specials  that came on . I believe that the people in them had some effect on who I became . I also remember my dad playing his records on Sunday afternoons with likes of Glenn Miller , Tommy Dorsey , Frank Sinatra , Dean Martin .  At the time I did not realize how much of an effect all had on me .
                     As I am getting older I have gained a appreciation for all those artists and find that I seek out those old movies and music . Nothing like a John Wayne movie to get you in a old time mood . You know when over you feel like getting up and doing that walk and the way he talked was so unique . When he spoke you knew he was in command . How a nice Italian dinner with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin serenading during the meal . While you are sitting at a table with red and white checkered table cloth , A old wine bottle with a half burnt candle in it , vase with fresh picked flowers in it and you are sitting across from your best girl            .
                   How can one forget about the Bob Hope specials at Christmas . I don't know about any one else I looked forward to those every year . Or on Saturday afternoons there would be the Tarzan movies ; Lone Ranger ; Abbot And Costello , Will Rogers and Dale Evan ; this list cold go non and on .
                  You can not tell me that all this did not have an affect on how life should be . These were my role models . Take Humphrey Bogart with his trade mark trench coat and fedora on a foggy night , the way stood there in the dim light of the lamp post ; that had to say some thing to you . Or the way Elvis Presley in his movies a guitar would just magically appear and he would go into one of his songs . Definitely how always the bad guys got what was coming to them .
                  Those things have had an affect on my view on how life should be , but as we grow up we realize  that was only in the movies . We soon realize that things are not going to that way , of coarse though there will be those brief shinning moments that you can come close .
               One refreshing thing though is you can revisit that time in your life where you had some innocence and watch those movies and listen to those records and dream again . Oh , if it were not for the memories what would we have .

No comments: