Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A PERIOD OF MY LIFE

                      Today I am going to write about some thing that had a real profound effect on laying the ground work on part of my personality . I was in my twenty's and in the service and really on my own for the most part .  I was in the service stationed in Germany shortly after my separation for my wife from a marriage where we got married  on a whim and definitely for all the wrong reasons . I was I believe trying to find who I was . My identity so to speak .
                 I knew I was into music ; a few years earlier I disc jockeyed at the airman's club in California . Also used spend hours walking around the cornfield next door listening to the underground fm college radio stations that were around in my youth . So definitely it was in my blood .
                Well back to why I am writing today . I was always into Jim Morrison and the doors . I some how got a copy of his biography  No One Here Gets Out Alive and read it . I then became more enamored with his life and The Doors music . I bought every thing I could find with their music . I really wanted to get my hands on a copy of The American Prayer , a rare book of his poetry .  I tried to live hard fast on that fine line of sanity and insanity . My room mate at the time she thought for a time I was going to end up like Jim . Lots of heavy drinking and into some serious drugs which thankfully I was able to walk away form . I even made the pilgrimage That any true doors fan makes while in Europe . Go to this nondescript cemetery  tucked away in Paris and get drunk and stoned with Jim . What had the most influence on my musical tastes was The Doors music . Like they say once you listen to the Doors you never really the same after . I don't think it was just the music that changed me ; It was the many experiences I had while to rediscover myself along with many other things . I guess I had other things going for me , Many  other influences in my life . I believe the The Doors were just a catalyst for the changes I was going through .But thankfully I made out the alive . This period of my life among others I believe are the building blocks that make up who I am today . I still think of those days fondly some of those days are still a bit of a haze ; understandably so . None the less they were some good memories , The concerts ; festivals ; party's ; road trips and the hours spent in front of the stereo listening to my vinyl and getting wasted .It will never be again .By all means I am not glorifying that part of my life ; buy no mistake it is permanently its part of who I am .

No comments: