Thursday, July 25, 2013

THE ONE PLACE IN THE WORLD THAT YOU WANT TO LIVE

                       Well this is hard topic to write about , because one could let his imagination and lose a sense of reality in . The are many places that we all would wish to to live , but with that are you being realistic ? Everybody daydreams of that ideal get away spot that we could while our days away in leisure . Are really going to be happy with that , yes for awhile , but soon boredom would set in .
                       So what is the one place in the world that I what live ? Well I lived in Michigan as a youth as well as Rhode Island and Pennsylvania . Those are the places I have lived while my Dad was in the service , that I remember .
                       Pennsylvania I remember because of one sad incident and a welcomed Christmas present . Well the sad thing is that I lost my best friend in first grade ,due to a auto accident . I never really found another best friend since . Bucky was to be my friend through out live , you know how boys are , we became blood brothers . Silly thing I know , but to a young boy it is important . As for the welcomed gift , it was transistor radio . It looked like Walkie-talkie , it had a picture of Vic Morrow from the TV show Combat . I liked that show . I even remember the first song I ever heard on it . Downtown by Petula Clark . Something about the lyrics really stuck on me . It made believe that downtown was a wonderful place , where you could forget your problems . So since I always thought the happening place was downtown no matter where I have lived .Of course there many other memories of Pennsylvania , of all those are the one most influential .
                    Rhode Island  , there was a place full of adventure for a young boy . We lived on a island in Narragansett bay . On the island there was a navel shipyard , it was exciting to for me to the ships come in to port , especially the one my father was assigned to . The cooks on board  ship loved my brothers and sister and me also . We ate there one day in the chow hall on ship , they served us what is called SOS on toast , and we all loved it . we thought that was a big deal . Then  .there was the beach we used to go to on the other side of the Island . On it was what was called Hangman's rock and off to the right there was a cliff with a house on it . To me it looked some what like the house it the show Dark Shadows ,it looked rater eerie on those could New England fall days .Then there was the Jazz festival at a park near by with all the hippies walking around . It was a sight to see by a young teenager to see and the music was something else . I do not remember who was their but I do remember hearing it . To me it was another  world and I wanted to know more about it . But that was not to be for a few years later for we moved to Michigan .
                 Now for Michigan We moved to an area in the country far removed from what was happening in the nation and the world . Our only connection to it was the radio for the music and Walter Cronkite on the six o clock news , where he provided a picture of the happenings around the world ,good or bad . During this time my Dad served in Vietnam at the Great Lakes navel station before he retired . This where I my best friend , Marmaduke , my German Shepard Collie mix . She was shades of brown and black stripes . She loved the snow and outdoors ,oh yes can't forget her Frisbee . She loved chasing after it along with running through the corn field next door . I could take her for walks through the woods and talk to her about anything and know she would not tell mom on me .
                Michigan was also where I discovered the underground college FM radio stations . It was here you could here the music that the Am stations would not play . It was listening to this that expanded my taste in Rock and Roll and Blues . Do not forget Saturday nights with the Doctor Demento Show . The Demented music that he played just cause my imagination to run wild .
              Oh yes , there were the winters that we had there and the camping trips with Boy Scouts in that weather . They for some reason seemed more fun than they looked . I enjoyed them , very much as a young man . There to many other memories to mention some good and some bad .
            I finally came to the decision to leave home as most young men do . To do this I joined the Air force . They promptly sent me to Texas for training . Most of my memories consist of Basic and Tech School . I remember the day before I went I was at the AFEES station in Detroit . We were allowed to leave post to go to a movie , of all movies it was the Texas Chain Saw Massacre , the original version . So I left with definite idea of Texas . When finished Basic training , there was the long bus ride to tech school . We went down this road that seemed to go on forever . We saw this tree ahead of us , we would drive what seem hours and not caught up with it . It was this ride I envisioned this guy jumping out of nowhere with a chainsaw in hand and that creepy mask .As we rode I kept looking for him ,but thankfully he never appeared . My sitting writing this blog attests to that fact .
            Well its on to my first duty assignment , I was California Dreaming . Yes it was California , that was to be my first assignment . The valley near Yosemite was to be it . The are where American Graffiti was filmed .This where I really opened up . This where I started Disc jockeying disco at the clubs on base . I know ,Yes it was Disco and some nights it would be Rock and Roll . It was all week at the club and Saturdays at the lake . Where we would practice our Disco moves in the grass .Then there was the coastal drive from San Francisco south to Santa Cruise with a stop at Blacks beach . The ride was a an adventure in itself . I would tell you all about it but it was one of those things , that really you had to be there . While I was here it was fun in the sun , a little partying at night and do not forget the work that I had do to be there and enjoy it .
              Well off to the next stop , West Germany as it was known at the time . The very first thing I was introduced to was the beer . Oh ,did mention my love of the taste of a beer . Man I sure in in the right place now . Do not let forget to mention all the good German food . There were all the festival to go to . Just about every village had one , some time during the year  . The beer tents , with the beer , brats and the Polka bands .The dance floor always filled up with chicken dance . It was so silly it was just fun . The drive down the Rhine River were so scenic on a bright spring day with the top off on my truck . The castles , grape vines on the side of the hills , the ships cruising down the river . and all the villages along the way . Each with its own story .Then there were the all day rock fests to go too . I went so many its hard to count . I also enjoyed my all night drives that I took along the auto bahn , when I could not sleep . I always wanted to go back someday .
                I guess what am trying to say , the only place I ever wanted to live is where I am at , at the moment . If you always wishing to be somewhere else , you may miss out on the the small memories that may mean the most to in later years .I have not gone into everywhere I have lived , But I can say I was glad to be where I needed to be at the time . Just like I am where I need to be now . Who knows what memories are to come and which ones I will remember most , but I am sure they will come . Maybe I will share them here in my blog . Only Time will tell .

No comments: