Tuesday, July 30, 2013

DEAR DAD

                    Today's post , that am doing right now I have no idea where it my lead me , but this I do know I will write this as if I am talking to my father whom passed away recently . Let me start this off with this statement , I have idea if there is Internet access in the after life . I have stated this in a couple of letters to Mom earlier . I gonna go on the believe that it is available in the after life .
Robert Dale Rome U.S.N. retired February 1930 - July 2013
                     Well Dad , I know I have not been the best son I could have been , but this I know I would not have made it this far in life with out your example . Yes I know there were times that the navy came first , but that was your job . When came time for family your were always there . When we were young , I remember playing on the abutment's at Valley Forge when we lived in Pennsylvania .
                  The time you had to come home from duty to look for us . Mom had told us to stay close to the house because dinner was almost ready . Us boy’s didn’t listen though , we went fishing for eel , with the neighbor . We were gone till dark . We did get in trouble for that one , sometimes I think I still feel the sting from that paddle of yours right now . The main thing is you were there looking for us . You were there for the family .
                     What I always thought is that you would always be there . I thought you were invincible . You had those big arms and that tattoo of the eagle carrying the American flag and arrows .  The one gold tooth , at times when I see a John Wayne flick ,I hear you talking . You often told us growing up if you fell froggy leap . None us took you up on it , We knew in our hearts what the outcome would be . I myself did not like the thought of a beating like I never knew before . I can definitely say , you were always a fair man .I learnt a lot from just watching you .
                    I remember all of us going out to the side yard , in the fall and getting a game of touch football . This where you tried to teach me the basics . I never really got any good at it though , as my High School career in football can attest to that . The one thing that has carried on is that I am still a fan of the Michigan Wolverines . You and Mom made it point to watch or listen to the games on Saturday afternoons . The excitement in the house during those games , were something else . I find my self getting that excited during the games now still .
               I have tried to stand on my own two feet my whole life , but you and mom were always there to pick me up when necessary . I know you have done more than a few times . In the past ten years I had made it a point to try to do it on my own . Dad I have got to admit it been rough at times . I also worked hard at staying in this relationship I am in right now . Its been a hard eleven years , I don’t know how many times I wanted to walk away . But  some reason I didn’t .Relationships are hard Dad . But yet you stayed by Moms side forty plus years , I now know how much work that was for the two of you . If there were any problems , You and Mom did a good job keeping it from us . Although I do miss hearing the two of you fussing at each other .
                  What all this boils down to Dad is I want you know that love you and the thought of you not being there will at times will be hard because , I thought you would always be there . This promise I will work hard at making this relationship work , and try by your example to be there for those in my new family group . I have got make at least make one thing work and last in my life . Because I look at all you have done and gone through through out your life , what I have to face is small to all that you accomplished . What I am trying to do now Dad is tell you all that never had the courage to tell you . Yes , I know its late but I at least had to get of my chest . It is my hope , that this finds you in the after life and that will share it with Mom . Also , I know that I will see you again , every time I look in a mirror , at times I swear at times I see you there . You will be missed .
                               Thanks Dad for listening .

No comments: