Saturday, July 20, 2013

EXCUSE ME MADAM

                    This is a a small story from my past that is kind of funny . In my youth ,just after graduating from high school , I fell in the kind of job that every guy dreams of . I had a job as handy man at a girls camp . This was back in seventy-five 
                    At the time I had long hair , which many of us had at the time . I never left the house tell my hair was in all the right places . I would wash it then blow dry it ,then brush it till I had the right look . I had what would call a feathered shag . I was proud of that long hair . I thought it was cool But back then leisure suits and platform shoes were cool too.
                   Well a couple of weeks into camp on one of my nights off , my parents came by to take me out to dinner . They thought I needed an escape from being the only guy in camp , other than John  the year round caretaker of the camp . He was what call a cool laid back man . Come to find out he was a Veteran of Guadalcanal ,during World War Two . He didn’t talk much about it , but it kind of made him bigger than life to me . Because he was were I only seen John Wayne in the movies . I think that was because ,He was right there in front of me and I worked with him . I had a lot of respect for him . Well there goes my mind again wondering of from the topic .
                   So here I was this longhair working at Camp Shawadasse , a camp in southern Michigan . Just imagine your bringing your daughter to camp on her first day .  Here I  was helping in loading of the girls gear on the trailer ,to bring it back to there campsites . Back in the day fathers would look long and hard at me and wonder . I have got to admit ,at this time I have long hair only a little bald spot on my forehead that was not there back then .
                    Well back to the dinner my parents were taking my out to . We left the camp  to go to this Steak House in Kalamazoo . I was wearing my camp staff tee shirt and a pair of jeans . Well we walked in , and at the counter we gave them our orders and then we at down at our table to wait on our order . We were carrying our conversation . You know, the usual how things going , and are you making out all right and all that parental sort of stuff . A few moments had passed an the girl whom had taken order , approached our table ,with my back to her . She politely asked  “ Madam I forgot to ask you ,how did you want your steak .”  I then replied politely to my parents “ Think I should find a new job “  We all laughed including the waitress . She quickly apologized and left our table with my order and little embarrassed . I kind off flirted with her the rest of the night .
                I know not why I remember this , but it makes for a good story . I think it one of my good memories of time spent with my parents .

No comments: