Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A LONG TRAIN RIDE

                        Today I find my self taking a long train home to honor my fathers life . I left Charlotte in the early hours of the mourning . I m finding that since I came to realize that I was heading home for the first time in a long time I have not slept much since yesterday mourning . Could not sleep at all on the way to Washington DC where I connect to Chicago to make the final leg home . I not seen or spoke to members of my family in ten years . I do not know the reason why , I think it my I will call tomorrows but tomorrow never came . Time just moves to fast .
                      I am uncertain of how I will be received . None the less I am going home to honor the man whom helped make the man I am today . This I know , I am not any where near I expected to be this time of my life . Yes ,I have made some poor choices , that I have to live with . One choice I made is to stick to the side of my lady no matter what kind of drama I went through . Man , there have been times that I did not think I would make it to the other side . Some times I wonder how I hung on to my sanity .
                     As I have been riding the rails home , my mind would often drift to thinking about my life with my dad and the rest of the family . All in all , I would have to admit that times were good .It was much simpler then . At that time the remote control for the TV was one of us kids . We would have to turn the dial and adjust the rabbit ears . Of course the young today would not know anything about that . I would think of the times I would walk through the neighbor's corn field and woods with my dog and eight track just jamming to who ever was on at the time . Mom or Dad would step out on the back step and yell . When that occurred you best come a running . Usually that meant dinner time , I am not one to miss dinner , you can bet your life I was running . I loved to eat ,and eat I did . Mom said I had a hollow leg , she could never understand where put all the food . It was a good thing that we had a garden , all of us had to spend some time in hard labor in it . In that garden we grew every thing ,potatoes ,tomatoes ,corn , strawberries and anything else that we could eat .
                      Every fall was busy with mom canning everything she could , yes we had to help with that to . But with all that hard work we ate good . Oh yes do not forget dads homemade horseradish . That stuff would send flames out your nose . It cleared the sinus's for sure . These have been some of my thoughts on my way home to Union City Mi. while sitting here in Washington DC . I am sure there will be more to add when I get to Chicago for my next lay over . I should be in Battle Creek Mi by 8 pm tomorrow .

No comments: