Friday, August 9, 2013

ALL HANDS ON DECK

859120_10200223539260316_855360439_o



                     My Dad was Navy all the way . One of the most important college games of the season next to Michigan vs. Ohio was the Army Navy game . The world seemed to stop on those days . Growing up he took pride in teaching us kids things that were Navy .

                    I used to be able to name all the ships at Pearl Harbor . That was something he taught us . We also learned the flag signals , Morris code , how to make hospital corners on our beds so that the quarter would bounce , not only that I learned to blow the calls on the bowmen's mates whistle .All this before I was ten . We would browse through the Blue Jackets Manuel to learn what we could . Even the different knots used on board ship . This was how Navy the house was when we very young .

                Well on to what I am writing this about . Well my Dad used to talk about to the guys on base that he ran a tight ship . They guys would say yea right . Well one day my dad invited his buddies over to watch some football . Well this Saturday was just one of those average weekends . I saw my Dad pull up in the side drive way with his friends . I got an idea an my brothers and sister went along with it . This where all the things that my Dad taught us about the navy came in to play .

               We could here them all coming around the side of the house ,laughing and joking with each other . Well the moment came when they opened the front door . You could hear the door open as the stairs came into view , There I was the oldest at the top of the stairs , I promptly blew the call for all hands on deck . Here come my brothers and sister come running and lined up according to on the steps . We then snapped to attention , with a proper salute as they entered the house . I can just imagine that this was just a sight to see , four kids ages running in ages from around eight to for on the steps saluting as your coming in the door .

               Well needless to say that my Dads buddies went rolling out the door with laughter and Dad standing there with the look of surprise on his face . This was one that dad could never live down , by the time he got to base on that Monday It was as all over the office . This one we got over on our dad however unintentional it was , but this was was the best prank ever . We just thought it would be fun . But , yes above all else this was a Navy house .

No comments: